AuthorMessage
Kittyboy
Writer or Creator (ΡΡΡ)

Number of posts : 3573
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: The Tetris Effect   Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:15 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earworm

A very interesting and cool effect that is caused by repetitive stress syndrome is the Tetris Effect. It is basically caused by your procedural memory (such as making the same sandwich over and over again in a restaurant, driving on the interstate for hours and hours, or even learning to play a song), and results in your brain involuntarily reproducing patterns or such that it has become accustomed to. Let me explain this better..

Basically, you stress (not unhealthily, in fact some studies say Tetris stress is healthy for cognitive thinking) your brain so much, that, in the case of Tetris, you will begin to see falling blocks when you close your eyes, or under extreme circumstances, begin to categorize all things in life by subconscious Tetris rules. You might catch yourself thinking about how to solve something by way of Tetris, and it may be a very subtle sensation, but you will still recognize it and possibly surprise yourself at how irrational that thought process is outside of the game context. This is especially true if you are lacking sleep and already facing effects from this.

It isn't limited to Tetris though, many video games or activities can have this effect on your thinking pattern. If you feel funny at first when first walking on land after a long boat trip, this is for the exact same reason. Your brain has subconsciously adjusted to the boat shifting back and forth, and is used to it even after you are off of the boat. This is also the same reason many of us hear songs 99% of the day. The part of your brain that interprets sound may be responsible for this, especially when it is only a small clip of a song that continuously loops. It isn't just imagery and sound though. People that suffer from this in say, serious ass CCGing until odd hours, let's say Magic: The Gathering. Some people reported after playing for 48 hours without sleep (like at a professional tournament), they would not just see the cards before entering full sleep (and sometimes in their dreams too), but their brain would involuntarily create imaginary games with an opponent and desired moves and strategy. It is almost an "auto-pilot" in a sense. One with subconscious hallucinations. This is all fascinating and everything, but I made this topic to hear of your guys stories about Tetris Effect. It could be from working long hours, or from a video game, or making music or anything.

Mine?

1. The more severe times I've noticed it growing up was after swimming at the beach for nearly 20 hours (we took breaks though for our skin) I would stand still in the shower and close my eyes. I could see the ocean and feel my body floating up and down, similar to the boat example except just with my body in the water.

2. One time after playing Star Wars: Rouge Leader cooperative with my buddy Glenn many MANY hours into the night, I was still awake when the sun came up. Having beat the whole game, and delirious, I decided to hop in the shower. Again, when closing my eyes, I saw TIE fighters flying past either side of my head. Huh.

3. Working late hours on my Doom levels, sometimes till the sun comes up and I can barely keep my eyes open or make sense, I would then lay down and enter a pre-dream state. Basically, I would have minor sleeps where I was either playing Doom, or making Doom. In fact last night I dreamt I was in a Doom level a girl I knew made, but her and Doom aren't connected at ALL so I don't understand that part.

4. Another game one, after playing Halo with my clan buddies many years ago until odd hours of the night, I began half-awake dream of a warthog flipping through the air from a rocket blast, and I would shoot up in my bed because my "reaction" which was to dodge the warthog was so strong that it woke me up (I wasn't completely asleep yet.)

I also have minor ones like learning to play the Tetris theme, which involved practicing over and over and over and over again, well. You can imagine that song played in my head for many days after that. In fact its in my head now. Anyways, let's hear those stories, this is interesting shit!

Number of posts : 3378
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect   Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:45 pm

Sweet I already knew that though

New (*----)

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect   Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:41 pm

LOl omg I didnt know that this had a name...I just thought I was retarded from playin to many video games...or developing like ocd or soemthign...wow....I just learned soemthign....."the more you know" *cheeesy rainbow*
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/maincharacter
Kittyboy
Writer or Creator (ΡΡΡ)

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect   Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:47 pm

lolzxocl

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect   Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Bumping this topic to hear if any new guys have their own stories on this.

I can say recently that I've had dreams about work after long days of work. Nothing unusual, but it's related to the same thing.

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect   Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:21 pm

bump for great justice

Number of posts : 3378
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect   Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:09 pm

bump of cocaine

Regular (***--)

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2010-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect   Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:12 am

i dun understand....
either that or im jus to lazy to understand & read everything :C
my brain can't handle too much
Back to top Go down
Kittyboy
Writer or Creator (ΡΡΡ)

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect   Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:14 am

I'll try to explain to you sometime when I'm not tired myself lol

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2010-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect   Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:15 am

i read it over again ...
and i still dont understand or think i've had anything like that happen,
but i probably jus don't understand
i'm slow :c
Back to top Go down
Vf_Blitz
Senior User (****-)

Number of posts : 1854
Registration date : 2010-05-10

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect   Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:32 pm

TELL ME ABOUT IT!

Reality and Fantasy are two sides of the same coin. No one is ever sure which they’re in though.
Control has nothing to do with actions. Just how far your emotions will take you.
Back to top Go down
vironz
Senior User (****-)

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect   Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:52 pm

dur dur dur

Senior User (****-)

Number of posts : 1854
Registration date : 2010-05-10

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect   Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:54 pm

stop being a derp

Reality and Fantasy are two sides of the same coin. No one is ever sure which they’re in though.
Control has nothing to do with actions. Just how far your emotions will take you.
Back to top Go down
vironz
Senior User (****-)

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: The Tetris Effect   Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:21 pm

DERRRRRRRRR

The Tetris Effect
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1